Unread 1.9.8 is now available. This update adds support for the 2018 iPad Pro. The new iPad Pro is different enough from both iPhone X devices and traditional iOS devices to require some design tweaks. Unread typically displays the screen title such as “UNREAD ARTICLES” in the middle of the bottom navigation bar. If the account is being refreshed, Unread hides the screen title and shows network activity text such as “Refreshing unread articles…”.
The traditional iPad layout would have placed screen title text and network activity text under the home indicator. The bottom layout used on the iPhone X would have looked silly because the bottom navigation bar would be tall but with its information condensed in the middle of the screen.
On a 2018 iPad Pro when Unread occupies the entire screen, the screen title will be on the left side of the bottom navigation bar. It will be visible regardless of whether your account is being refreshed. If your account is being refreshed, the network activity text will be displayed on the right side of the bottom navigation bar.
There are other variations of the layout for when Unread is in Split View or Slide Over, depending on where Unread is on the screen relative to the home indicator. All of these layout changes are specific to the 2018 iPad Pro.
This update also contains these improvements:
- I fixed a bug that could cause Unread to display raw HTML for articles under some circumstances. This fix applies to new articles, but not to articles that a previous version of Unread downloaded to the device.
- I fixed a bug that would cause Unread to cache error responses for images.
- I fixed a bug that could cause read status changes and starred/saved status changes to become lost under some circumstances if made when the device is offline.
- I fixed a bug that could cause Unread to not retrieve articles from some syncing services under a specific set of circumstances.
- Unread will no longer show low quality thumbnail images for Reddit articles. This change applies to new articles, but not to articles that a previous version of Unread downloaded to the device.
If you are happy about this update, please leave a review in the App Store.