Unread 2.5.4 is available from the App Store. This update fixes a bug that would prevent the swipe left menu from working from the article screen when using the developer beta of iOS/iPadOS 15.
Unread 2.5.3 is available with these improvements:
- A new Send Mail In setting lets you choose whether to send email through an in-app Mail view or through the default email app on the device. This setting applies to the Mail Link article action and to contacting customer support. It does not apply to the Mail Article action because sending rich text requires the in-app Mail view.
- This update adds VoiceOver improvements to the tutorial and adds a VoiceOver document to Technical Notes.
- This update adds modest improvements to the algorithm that determines the best article list images for articles, and fixes some bugs around images with URLs that cannot be parsed.
- Navigating via trackpad is smoother.
- This update fixes bugs around sharing to DEVONthink.
- This update fixes some layout bugs around Split View and Slide Over on iPad.
I am working on a much bigger update with some long-awaited capabilities, and had planned to incorporate these improvements into that update. I look forward to sharing that update soon, but in the meantime I wanted to get these fixes out.
I just released Unread 2.5.2 with some bug fixes:
- This update fixes some bugs around articles and unread counts from feeds that were recently added to an account from another device.
- This update fixes a bug that caused layout issues after opening Unread from one of its widgets under some circumstances.
- This update fixes a bug that could cause crashes while Unread is refreshing in the background.
- This update fixes a syncing bug that would occur on beta versions of iOS 14.5.
Last week I released an Unread update, version 2.5, with a significantly expanded free tier. Today I am releasing Unread 2.5.1 with these improvements:
- The Unread 2.5 improvements around formatting tweets in articles from Substack feeds did not work when syncing with a NewsBlur account. This update fixes that.
- This update fixes a bug that prevented the Priority Sources setting on medium and large Unread Counts widgets from working as expected under some circumstances.
If you enjoy using Unread please consider leaving a review in the App Store, writing a blog post about it, or telling your friends on social media.
Unread 2.5 is available. This update significantly expands Unread’s free tier and more.
Expanded Free Tier
This update removes the reading limits that were in place before purchasing a subscription. Until now, Unread without a subscription was essentially a free trial that became less functional after a certain amount of use. That was as I intended, but now I want more people to use Unread.
Adjusting some settings on home screen widgets now requires purchasing a subscription:
- You now need a subscription to configure a Recent Articles widget to show articles from a specific feed or folder.
- You now need a subscription to configure a medium or large Unread Counts widget to show unread counts by folder, or to show unread counts in a specific folder by feed.
- You now need a subscription to configure a small Unread Count widget to show the count for a specific feed or folder.
Article actions such as Instapaper and Mail Link now require a subscription. If you enabled article actions in a prior version of Unread but have not purchased a subscription, those article actions will continue to work without a subscription until the next feature update.
Settings that require a subscription are marked as such on the Settings screen before a subscription is purchased.
Default Email App Support
If Apple Mail is not configured with any accounts and iOS is configured to use an alternative email app as the default, Mail Link will use that alternative email app.
The Mail Article action still requires Apple Mail. There is no way to send rich text to an alternative email app. The Article Actions settings screen no longer lets you enable Mail Article if Apple Mail is not setup with an account.
- Unread now renders
iframeelements from most feeds. This change will not apply to articles already downloaded to the device before installing this update.
- This update improves the formatting of tweets quoted in articles from Substack feeds. This change will not apply to articles already downloaded to the device before installing this update.
- This update fixes compatibility issues with the Display Zoom accessibility setting.
- This update improves haptic feedback around Unread context menus for links and images in articles.
- This update fixes a bug that prevented the ordering and grouping settings from working on lists of articles from Feed Wrangler Smart Streams, Feedbin Saved Searches, and Inoreader Active Searches under some circumstances.
- This update fixes bugs that prevented Unread from working well with mice that have scroll wheels.
- This update adds fixes for some formatting issues that affected MacRumors articles. This change will not apply to articles already downloaded to the device before installing this update.
- This update improves the algorithm for finding article list thumbnails for articles with YouTube videos.
- This update adds performance improvements around drawing images in article lists.
- The About screen and the Unread Subscription screen have been reorganized.
- Since iOS 14 lets you choose a default system browser other than Safari, I removed the Chrome and Firefox options from the Open Links In setting. I also removed the Open in Chrome and Open in Firefox share sheet actions.
- Long pressing to show an Unread context menu now requires long pressing for a slightly longer period of time. This should avoid Unread context menus appearing when not expected.
- Unread now consistently ignores articles (“a”, “an”, “the”) at the start of a subscription title when sorting those subscriptions.
- Unread can now be launched with a
feed:URL. Unread will respond by letting you subscribe to the feed specified by that URL. If you have other apps on your device that can be opened with
feed:URLs, iOS might open Unread or it might open one of the other apps.
- There is no longer an optional Article Actions menu item in the swipe left menu of an article. Article Actions are setup from the Settings screen.
Unread 2.5 requires iOS 14 or later.
2020 was a big year for Unread. I released version 2.0 in February. Unread 2 added the automatic webpage text feature with caching, article actions, subscription management, hardware keyboard navigation, multiple window support, and more.
Since then I have released these updates:
- Version 2.1 added trackpad and mouse support for iPadOS 13.4 and the Magic Keyboard.
- Version 2.2 added new article actions.
- Version 2.3 added home screen widgets.
- Version 2.4 added widget improvements, layout improvements, and Unread context menus as an option over system context menus.
The subscription pricing model is helping me to deliver frequent improvements. Plans are likely to change over time, but I anticipate at least three more 2.x updates before shipping Unread 3.0.
I have one big area of focus for Unread 3 and have started work on it. I am spending about half of my development time on that Unread 3 feature set, and about half of my development time on Unread 2.x updates. I want to continue delivering frequent updates while also making progress on Unread 3.
I want to thank all of my customers for using Unread. I always enjoy interacting with customers. Your suggestions, feature requests, and bug reports are always helpful.
Happy new year.