Unread 2.1 is now available in the App Store. This update adds trackpad and mouse support, new keyboard commands, and more.
Trackpad and Mouse Support
This update adds full support for the trackpad and mouse on iPad. With a trackpad or mouse, opening the tug left menu, backing out of the existing view, and flicking away a full-screen image work just like scrolling: two-finger swipe on a trackpad or one-finger swipe on a Magic Mouse 2. Buttons, navigation bar items, and links in articles have hover effects.
An Apple Magic Keyboard with built-in trackpad, Apple Magic Mouse 2, or Apple Magic Trackpad 2 is recommended. If your Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad takes batteries it is an older model. Trackpad and mouse support requires iPadOS 13.4.
I worked hard to make Unread’s keyboard support comprehensive enough that keyboard users rarely need to touch the screen. I am excited that trackpad and mouse support takes this even further. When I use Unread on my iPad with a keyboard and trackpad, I only touch the device if I need to authenticate with Touch ID.
New Keyboard Commands
This update adds these keyboard commands:
nfrom the article list to open the currently selected article in a new window. This also works for other screens with lists of items.
command-nto open a new window. The new window will start at the same screen as the current window.
command-commato open Settings from almost any screen.
This update also adds these improvements:
- For customers using Feedbin, Unread now uses better article list images for some articles. This change will not apply to articles downloaded to the device before this update is installed.
- If the feed text of an article has an embedded YouTube video, Unread will now consider the YouTube thumbnail for that video a possible article list image. This change will not apply to articles downloaded to the device before this update is installed.
- After scrolling the article list via keyboard to the top, to the bottom, down one page, or up one page, Unread will now clear the current selection. Using the up or down arrow to select a new article will then select a visible article. This change also applies to other screens with lists of items.
- The border around the Cancel button in the Add Subscription view has been removed.
- Next Article and Previous Article are now available as actions when VoiceOver is enabled.
- This update fixes some bugs around using the up and down arrow to select an article in an article list when there is no selected article. This change also applies to other screens with lists of items.
- This update fixes some display bugs around MacStories articles that represent podcast episodes. Some fixes will not apply to articles downloaded to the device before this update is installed.
- This update fixes a bug that caused Edit Subscription to be unavailable for subscriptions in Fever accounts. Subscriptions in Fever accounts cannot be altered, but webpage text settings can be updated for subscriptions in Fever accounts.
- This update adds performance improvements around retrieving articles and caching webpage text.
- This update fixes a bug in which Unread would allow horizontal scrolling under some circumstances in which it should not.
- This update fixes a bug that could cause Unread to crash under some circumstances.