Unread 2.2 is available in the App Store. This update adds four new article actions, keyboard navigation improvements, and more.
New Article Actions
- Mail Article mails the content of the article.
- Mail Article Link mails a link to the article.
- Pinboard saves a bookmark to an article in your Pinboard account.
- Raindrop.io saves a bookmark to an article in your Raindrop.io account.
Each article action can be invoked by keyboard shortcut:
option-i for Mail Article,
command-i for Mail Article Link,
command-shift-b for Pinboard, and
command-shift-r for Raindrop.io.
Keyboard Navigation Improvements
When navigating up and down an article list via hardware keyboard with
shift-space, Unread now stops at breaks between articles when possible rather than scrolling a fixed number of points up and down the screen. This change also applies to other screens with lists of items.
For Feedly customers, the list of Saved Articles is now called “Read Later”. The wording around adding and removing articles to this list has also been updated. The underlying functionality is unchanged, but I updated the wording to reflect a change in Feedly’s nomenclature.
- Most animations now happen about 30% faster.
- This update adds improved formatting of
- Overscrolling in order to scroll to the next article, scroll to the previous article, mark all read, or pull to refresh is now easier with a trackpad or mouse.
- Unread now plays video in embedded iframes from
- Unread now uses a Content Security Policy as an additional mechanism to ensure that articles cannot execute arbitrary scripts.
- Unread will now consider a feed private if its URL path contains the string “/private/” or the string “/pri/”, or if its URL contains the query parameter “unread_private=true”. Private feeds have webpage text turned off by default. URLs of private feeds are never sent to the Unread Web Service.
- The context menu for a subscription row now includes a Copy Feed Link menu item.
- Retrieving articles is now significantly faster.
- Unread now uses better article list images for articles from underconsideration.com under some circumstances.
- Performing actions from context menus is now smoother.
- Article previews now display more smoothly.
- This update fixes bugs around and improves the performance of loading subsequent pages of articles after scrolling to the end of an article list.
- This update fixes some article list and article display glitches.
- This update fixes a bug that caused the scroll position on an article to change under some circumstances after closing and reopening Unread.
- This update fixes some bugs around syncing article status.
- This update fixes a bug that caused the left arrow key on a hardware keyboard to behave in unexpected ways when the focus is on a text field.
- This update fixes a crash that could occur under some circumstances when searching for a feed by URL.
- This update fixes a bug where, under some circumstances, tapping a link to a website could bring the user to the website’s feed instead of the website’s home page.
- This update fixes a bug where, under some circumstances, swiping back did not work while refreshing an account.
- This update fixes a bug that would prevent a videos from having a play control under some circumstances.
- This update fixes a bug that would cause article lists for NewsBlur folders to exclude articles that exist in subfolders.
- Unread now better handles articles that do not have webpage URLs.
- This update fixes a bug that prevented themes from applying to context menus on iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.
This update requires version 13.5 or later of iOS or iPadOS.